Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Easy Enchalada Casserole

This week has been horrendously busy already. I vowed to do at least two posts this week. I will post yesterday's recipe tomorrow..hopefully! I think I've found two winner staple dishes from Pinterest this week. This enchilada recipe had me skeptical for a minute because of the corn bread mixed in, but I still really liked it. I seem to be attracted to all things spicy and mexican-ish in nature, no matter what they do to my stomach afterward- don't worry this one is only as spicy as you make it! I end up making something like tacos or fajitas every week or at least think about making it! Anyway- this recipe is surprisingly easy to throw together in about 30 minutes. It turned out really delicious! I made a few adjustments to the blog recipe found at
http://bunsinmyoven.com/2012/03/23/chicken-tamale-casserole/


This was my second helping. I added fresh avocado pieces and chopped green pepper on top. Not the prettiest picture, but it shows how good it was!


Ingredients

4 ounces Cheddar cheese, grated
4 ounces Monterey Jack or Pepper Jack cheese, grated
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper (I used Paprika)
1 (14 3/4-ounce) can cream-style corn (I used Southwest Corn w/ beans n' peppers in it with extra milk)
1 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix (Jiffy works great)
1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles
1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce
1 pound ground chicken (turkey or beef work just as well) - I used ground lean turkey
salt and pepper, to taste (I seasoned with about 3/4 pkg of taco seasoning)
fresh chopped cilantro or parsley, to taste


Heating the ground turkey prior to baking the casserole...


Bottom of the casserole...the corn, cheese, chilis, cumin, red pepper, egg, and cornbread mix.


After baking for about 15-20 min until set on the bottom, poke holes in the cornbread and top with enchilada sauce, meat, cheese and cilantro. Bake for another 15 minutes. Serve!

Instructions

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spray a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray.
Combine the cheeses in a small bowl.
In a large bowl, stir together 1/4 cup of the combined cheese, the milk, egg, cumin, red pepper, corn, muffin mix, and the green chiles. Stir until just combined.
Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes or until just set.
While the cornbread is baking, cook your ground chicken in a skillet over medium heat until cooked completely through. Drain, if necessary, and salt and pepper the chicken.
Remove the cornbread from the oven and pierce all over with a fork.
Pour the enchilada sauce over the corn bread.
Top with the chicken and remaining cheese.
Return to the oven for another 15 minutes.
Sprinkle with the chopped cilantro or parsley and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages