Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Jerk Chicken con Red Beans and Rice

I admit, I'm making chicken and finding new ways of making chicken like its my JOB. I've started a low carb, low fat diet with some of my co-workers as I'm training for a 10k at the end of May. Therefore, obviously this has affected meal making at home. Austin's not complaining thus far...I've been able to adapt meals to fit my dietary needs as well as his tastes. It works out well for everyone. However, tonight I tried this pinterest inspired recipe for grilled jerk chicken. Can't say it was like the authentic jerk chicken I've had from Jamaica or any other caribbean county BUT it was still a realllly good rub and chicken was delicious! Top it off with red beans and rice and you've got a protien packed meal with very little fat and carbs. This recipe called for Mango Salsa...didn't have any of THAT on hand so I actually drove to Quodoba because they have some amazing mango salsa when its in season for their salads, but unfortunately they weren't promoting that at this time...lame. So I drove home and waited for my hubby to come home to grill up our chicken. I actually grilled some lemon pepper cod too because I only marinated a few small chicken breasts.

This recipe was adapted from the following food blog: http://joelens.blogspot.com/2010/06/jerk-chicken-with-mango-cilantro-relish.html

Jerk Chicken with Mango Cilantro Relish
recipe adapted from Bobby Flay

1/2 cup vegetable oil

1 onion, coarsely chopped

2 scallion, coarsely chopped

1 large jalapeno pepper, stem and seeds removed - Instead of pepper, I used about a teaspoon of hot sauce.

1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated - ginger powder

3 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped - garlic powder works just fine

1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh thyme

2 tablespoons red wine vinegar

1 tablespoon light brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg

Pinch ground cloves - didn't use this...bc frankly I didn't have them.

1 teaspoon ground allspice - also didn't use this

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

1 teaspoon fresh lime juice - probably used more like 2 table spoons of this

4 chicken thighs, skin on, bone in - I used skinless boneless chicken breasts...still good!

4 drumsticks, skin on - did not try this with drumsticks

Serve with Mango Cilantro Relish...or don't, either way :)

Red Beans N' Rice courtesy of Uncle Ben's box brand. Yummy and filling!

Puree all the ingredients, except the chicken, in a food processor until almost smooth. Piece the chicken with a fork to make tiny holes. Place the chicken in a large shallow baking dish and rub the marinade into the chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 24 to 48 hours, depending on how intense you want the flavor to be.

To grill - preheat grill. Grill chicken on each side for 5 to 6 minutes or until cooked through.

To bake - preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place chicken on baking sheet lined with foil and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or until the internal temperature of the chicken reaches 160 degrees.



So good! Served mine with a sweet potato pureed with 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 1 TB olive oil based butter.


First step, puree all ingredients for rub...I use my knock off brand, Magic Bullet...works like a charm...especially blending the raw onion up.


Rub onto the chicken...


Cover and marinate for 24-48 hours in fridge...you can also freeze this ahead of time.

Happy Cooking and grilling! Can't wait for more summer recipes to come :) Also love that my hubby helps me out with dinner now...its like a team effort...so should have started doing this before!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages