Monday, March 26, 2012

Healthy Mexican Skillet

This recipe has always looked amazing to me. Now that spring and summer are approaching quickly, I'm all about integrating the fresh veggies and fruits back into my diet. I've missed them oh so much! Therefore, this healthy mexican skillet was perfect for a weeknight dinner. It was relatively quick to throw together too. :)

Ingredients
1 tablespoon Canola Oil
1-1/2 cups quartered lengthwise, sliced zucchini
1-1/2 cups sliced squash (yellow)
1/2 cup diced green bell pepper (I used about 1 cup)
1 can (15 oz each) Whole Black Beans, drained, rinsed - (I used less..probably 1 cups worth...I'm not a big fan of beans)
1 can (14.5 oz each) Diced Tomatoes with Garlic, undrained
3/4 cup water
1 cup instant white rice (substituted brown instant rice)
1/2 cup shredded Cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese blend
1 small can of green chilis
1 packet of taco seasoning or similar seasoning blend...(garlic, cumin, salt/pepper)
3/4 cup of sliced onion (white)

DIRECTIONS

Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add zucchini, bell pepper, squash, and onion; cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add beans, undrained tomatoes, chilis and water. Increase heat and bring to a boil.
Add rice (make sure rice is cooked ahead of time if not instant...I still cooked my rice ahead of time and added it in); stir well. Cover; remove from heat and let stand 7 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with cheese. *We added lettuce, LF sour cream, and avocado as side dishes to this...very tasty!

(yum, peppers, onions, zucchini and squash...cookin' away!)

Veggies minus the rice

All together!

I added cheese, low fat sour cream, some smushed up ripe avacado seasoned with cilantro, salt and pepper, and whole wheat/white tortillas (Austin eats white, I eat wheat...we're still a divided household!)

We had lots of left overs which makes for a great lunch for work tomorrow! The end product was delicious! The fresh veggies are so good and leaves you feeling full but not overstuffed. Great quick, healthy meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pages